Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Everything hinges on minority definition


BANGALORE: With the education department dragging its feet on defining a minority institution, there is confusion all round. Shockingly, even the Block Education Officers (BEOs) are not sure which schools should be included to provide the 25% quota for children from Economically Weaker Section (EWS). Sample this: As many as 11 aided private institutions located in Frazer town area alone are missing from the list prepared for Bangalore North region.
"Schools like Goodwill Girls High School, Holy Angels Girls High School, St Xavier's Boys High School, St Joseph's Convent Girls High Schooland St Rocks Boys and Girls High School are some of the names that are missing from the list. It's important to have these names as these are some of the schools in the area that provide quality education," said Yasir Mohammed, a social worker from Frazer Town.
With the last date for submission of the application form being May 25, it's a nerve-racking situation for many parents who want their children to be admitted in these schools under the RTE quota. "I want to put my child in a better school. But the schools of my choice are not in the list. I see no point in taking off my child from his current school and getting him admitted to an institution that is no better than the existing school," said R Tilottamma, a resident of Ambedkar Nagar slum in Frazer Town.
Moreover, there are some, who have already paid the admission fees for this academic year. "My daughter goes to St Rocks Boys and Girls High School, but the school is not in the list. I paid Rs 8,000 a month ago for the coming academic year as I did not know about RTE and neither did the school tell me about the act. Even if I continue sending my daughter to the same school, I will not be able to get the admission fees reimbursed unless the school is there in the list," said P Charles, a parent.
"I have filed a PIL against all these snags associated with RTE. The list with names of the schools under RTE in Bangalore North is incomplete. Eight to nine good institutions are missing from the list,'' complained Yunus Mohammad, a resident of Bharati nagar.
EVEN THE DEPARTMENT IS CONFUSED
"Although theses schools are aided institutions, they are minority institutions as well. So they may have been omitted. This status put us in a fix and so we did not include these names. Though I feel that even if these names are not in the list, it should not create confusion as everybody knows that these schools are aided and have reservation for the poor," said Ashwath Narayan Gowda, Block Education Officer, North 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment